Fall in Love With Your City This Holiday Season
Although this year many of us may have felt alone or divided for many reasons, the sense of community our city gives us provides consolation in trying times. When we are young we often think of a city in terms of simple components such as buildings, people, cars, mail workers and garbage trucks. As we get older, our idea of a city becomes much more of a complex system and with that realization comes a great appreciation. For many of us, the city we live in gives us a sense of pride, community, and a feeling of comfort as we make countless memories around town surrounded by family and friends.
This time of year amplifies this sense of community even more. Each year when the holidays come around, our cities seem to transform to accommodate the festivities of the season. Open lots turn into Christmas tree farms, fairgrounds turn into holiday light shows, and city streets shut down for holiday markets and parades. Although COVID may alter the traditional holiday activities this year, there are still many ways to spread the holiday cheer in your area!
Check out our list of holiday activities that will suit everyone’s needs whether you are looking for a virtual, socially distant, or in-person event.
Virtual & Socially Distanced Activities:
- Six Flags Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience (Nov. 20 – Jan. 3/$20+)
- Virtual Tour: Holiday Lights of New York City (Dec. 1/Free)
- Unleash the Holiday Cheer Drive Through (Dec. 6/Free)
- Dr. Seuss’s How The Grinch Stole Christmas! On the Radio (Nov. 26 – Dec 24/Free)
- Little Italy Virtual Tree Lighting (Dec. 5/Free)
- The Nutcracker Drive-In (Nov. 27 – Dec. 6/$99 – $139)
- Enchanted Village (Dec. 18 – 23/$65)
- San Diego GoCar Tours ($63+)
- Google’s Window Wonderland (Free)
- Virtual Visit with Santa ($26)
- Volunteer (Free) – Check out some ways our team has been volunteering!.
Ideas for Hosting a Virtual Event:
- Virtual Wine Tasting Party
- Virtual Gingerbread House Making Contest
- Virtual Holiday Bingo
- Virtual Secret Santa or Gift Exchange
- Sing Virtual Holiday Carols
- Virtual Christmas Tree Decorating
- Make a Favorite Family Recipe Together Virtually
- Virtual Cookie Decorating Contest
San Diego Activities:
- San Diego Bay Parade of Lights (Dec. 13 & 20/Free)
- San Diego Made Holiday Market (Nov. 21 & 22 and Dec. 12th & 13th/Free)
- Balboa Park Taste of December Nights (Dec. 6 & 7/Free)
- Old Town Trolley’s Holiday Lights and Sights Tour (Dec. 3 – Dec. 30/$25)
- SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration (Nov. 23 – Jan. 5/Included with Park Admission)
- Wild Holidays at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Nov. 27 – Jan. 3/Included with Park Admission)
- Seas ‘n’ Greetings at the Birch Aquarium (Dec. 1 – Dec. 31/Included with Aquarium Tickets)
- Jungle Bells at the San Diego Zoo (Nov. 27 – Jan. 3/Included with Park Tickets)
- Botanic Wonderland Holiday Nights in the Garden (Dec. 1 – Dec. 30/$10 – $18)
- La Jolla Christmas Parade (Dec. 6/Free)
- Skating by the Sea at Hotel del Coronado (Nov. 22 – Jan. 5/$30)
Searching for Events in Your Area:
About the Author
Baylee Olsen, “Delightful Designer”
Baylee Olsen is a talented designer who has been with SDHRC for 1 year. A recent graduate from UCSD in Visual Arts Speculative Design, Baylee is instrumental in the design and branding of SDHRC’s most favored campaigns, service offering brochures, and webpages.