COVID-19 Resources for Employers
Returning to Work Soon?
SDHRC has created this customizable “Safe Reopening Plan for Employees” for businesses planning to reopen. This document communicates to employees the safety protocols, requirements and guidelines in a clear and concise layout to provide reassurance and evolved standards.
SDHRC 5 Minutes With an HR Expert Video Series
- Reopening the Workplace (7/7/2)
- Managing Your Workforce by HR Consultant Cherie Beck (5/6/20)
- San Diego Face Covering Requirements by HR Consultant Rachel Hart (4/10/20)
- FFCRA by HR Consultant Rachel Hart (4/6/20)
SDHRC COVID-19 Blog Updates
- New COVID Related Stimulus Relief Package Signed Into Law (1/5/21)
- COVID Prevention Program and Why YOU Need One! (12/11/20)
- COVID Exposure and Workers Compensation (10/13/20)
- The Evolution of COVID-19 and Where We Are Today (7/30/20)
- Rising Cases Cause Reopening Rollbacks in California (7/15/20)
- Reopening or Closing: We Have Guidance For You (7/7/2)
- Employee Engagement in These Challenging Times (7/1/20)
- Do Your Nails Need Some TLC?! Expanded Personal Care Services Set to Open (6/17/20)
- More San Diego Businesses Get the Green Light (6/12/20)
- Health Insurance Update in Light of COVID-19: Are Your Employees Covered? (5/29/20)
- It’s Time to Ditch Those “Do It Yourself” Hair Dye Kits (5/27/20)
- What Is YOUR Plan for When Those Doors Reopen? (5/20/20)
- Got My PPP Loan Money, Now What??? (5/12/20)
- Phase 2 Kick-Off Is Here; How Can I Safely Reopen? (5/6/20)
- $5 Million Loan Program Approved for Small Businesses (4/23/20)
- Paycheck Protection Program Is Broke, What to Do? (4/16/20)
- Finding Happiness and Positivity in Uncertain Times (4/9/20)
- New IRS Guidance on the Family First Coronavirus Response Act Tax Credit (4/8/20)
- San Diego Face Covering Requirements (4/3/20)
- CARES Act and Financial Assistance for Employers and Their Employees (4/1/20)
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Updates (4/1/20)
- COVID-19 Updates From Shelter to Families First (3/27/20)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (3/24/20)
- Guidance on Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers (3/24/20)
- Filing and Payment Deadline Extended to July 15, 2020 (3/24/20)
- CA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response (3/20/20)
- CA Shelter to Home Executive Order (3/20/20)
- Employment Development Department (EDD) COVID-19 Resources (3/20/20)
- Benefits for Workers Impacted by COVID-19 From CA Labor Page (3/20/20)
Relevant Guidelines, Notices, and Posters
- San Diego Positive COVID Flowchart (1/29/21)
- San Diego Order of the Health Officer – Quarantine of Persons Exposed to COVID-19 (1/29/21)
- San Diego Order of the Health Officer – Isolation of All Persons With or Likely to Have COVID-19 (1/29/21)
- San Diego Safe Reopening Plan Template (1/29/21)
- Side by Side Comparison of COVID-19 Paid Leave From The CA Department of Industrial Relations (09/01/20)
- Responding to COVID-19 in the Workplace Flowchart (8/3/20)
- COVID-19 Flowchart for Employers With Employee That Tests Positive (7/27/20)
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services and Cultural Ceremonies (5/25/20)
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Hair Salons and Barbershops (5/24/20)
- Required Safe Dining COVID-19 Posters Provided by the County of San Diego
- CA COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Food Sector Workers
- San Diego County – COVID-19 Restaurant/Food Facility Operating Protocol (5/21/20)
- San Diego County COVID-19 Safe Onsite Dining Plan for Restaurants/Food Facilities (5/21/20)
- CA Guidance for Dine-In Restaurants (5/12/20)
- San Diego County COVID-19 Guidance for Food Facility Re-Openings (5/6/20)
- San Diego County – Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol Template (Parks & Beaches) (4/24/20)
- San Diego County – Golf Course Physical Distancing & Safety Plan Template (Golf Courses) (4/24/20)
- CA COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Food Sector Workers (4/24/20)
- OSHA Guidelines on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- OSHA Requirements for Reporting COVID-19 Infection at Work (4/10/20)
- SDHRC Notice for Business Entry Template (Customizable Word Document) (4/3/20)
- SDHRC Notice for Business Entry Template (PDF Document) (4/3/20)
- San Diego County – Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol Template (4/2/20)
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Food Facility Guidance (3/16/20)
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Disinfection Guidance (3/16/20)
- SDHRC Employment Communication Template (3/13/20)
SDHRC Additional Resources
- SDHRC Guidance to California Shelter to Home Order (3/20/20)
- SDHRC Workforce Preparedness Planning for COVID-19 Slide Deck (3/26/20)
- SDHRC Workforce Preparedness Planning for COVID-19 Virtual Discussion Recording (YouTube 3/26/20)
- SDHRC COVID-19 Presentation Slide Deck (3/17/20)
- SDHRC COVID-19 Virtual Discussion Recording (YouTube 3/17/20)
- SDHRC Transition Tips to Remote Workforce (3/13/20)
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019
- CDC: Travel Health Notices
- WHO – World Health Organization
- OSHA – Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Work Share Program
This resource is for those whose hours/wages have been reduced temporarily to avoid layoffs. These individuals can participate in the Employment Development Departments (EDD) “Work Sharing Program.” This program offsets the reduced employee’s wage losses with the Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits.
- Be a legally registered business in California.
- Have an active California State Employer Account Number.
- At least 10 percent of the employer’s regular workforce or a unit of the workforce, and a minimum of two employees, must be affected by a reduction in hours and wages.
- Hours and wages must be reduced by at least 10 percent and not exceed 60 percent.
- Health benefits must remain the same as before, or they must meet the same standards as other employees who are not participating in Work Sharing.
- Retirement benefits must meet the same terms and conditions as before, or they must meet the same as other employees not participating in Work Sharing.
- The collective bargaining agent of employees in a bargaining unit must agree to voluntarily participate and sign the application for Work Sharing.
- Identify the affected work units to be covered by the Work Sharing plan and identify each participating employee by their full name and Social Security number.
- Notify employees in advance of the intent to participate in the Work Sharing program.
- Identify how many layoffs will be avoided by participating in the Work Sharing program.
- Provide the EDD with any necessary reports or documents relating to the Work Sharing plan.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Unfortunately, during these uncertain times, many companies are faced with the difficult decision to switch layoff workers or reduce their hours. Affected employees are urged to file unemployment through EDD Unemployment Insurance as soon as possible as all waiting periods are waived due to our current circumstances.
State Disability Insurance
Employees may be able to file for Disability Insurance through the EDD if they have become ill with, or who are medically quarantined due to exposure to, COVID-19, and who must miss work as a result.
Paid Family Leave Benefits
Employees may be able to file for Paid Family Leave through the EDD if they are unable to work due to caring for a family member who is ill with or medically quarantined due to exposure to, COVID-19.
Employees may be eligible for Workers’ Compensation if they were exposed to or became ill with COVID-19 during their regular work duties.
Additional California Resources
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- Cal/OSHA – The Division of Occupational Safety and Health of California (Coronavirus FAQs)
- CDPH – California Department of Public Health
- DLSE – Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
- EDD – Employment Development Department
- LWDA – California Labor & Workforce Development Agency (Benefits for Workers Impacted by COVID-19)
- Fisher Phillips
- Fisher Phillips – CA “Suspends” Its WARN Act Under Certain Circumstances Amid COVID-19 Crisis
- Crowdsource – Coronavirus HR Communications & Resources Guide
- Crowdsource – Coronavirus Company Travel & WFH Updates, Conferences, Schools
- Member Resources
- Aetna & CVS Health
- Plan Sponsor Email
- Plan Sponsor Rx Letter
- Teledoc in 3 Easy Steps
- Teledoc Member FAQ
- Heal Flyer
Anthem Blue Cross
- Member Resources
- Coronavirus Facts
- FAQ: Brokers & Employers
- FAQ: Members
- LiveHealth Online
- LiveHealth Online for Kids
- Heal Flyer
Blue Shield of California
Sharp Health Plan
Sutter Health Plus
Western Health Advantage
- What You Need to Know About the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19 CDC Flyer Rev. 03/03/20)
- What to Do If You Are Sick With the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19 CDC Flyer Rev. 02/29/20)
- Office of Public Affairs
- CDC Travel Health Notices
- CDC Recommended Posters
- CDC: Risk Assessment Tool
- CDC: Risk Assessment for Healthcare Personnel
More Ways SDHRC Can Help You With COVID-19
• Virtual Workplace Policy Creation & Implementation
• Virtual Workplace Transition Support
• Managing People in a Virtual Workplace Environment
• Technology Transitions & Requirements for a Virtual Workplace Environment
• Handling Performance Issues in a Virtual Workplace Environment